Chef Visit #1!
Hi, My name is Zyonna and I am a Coatesville Youth Initiative (CYI) participant. This is my third year and I was placed here at Waste Oil Recyclers to work for the summer. If you are unfamiliar with Coatesville Youth Initiative, it is a program that hires 40 teens from age 14 to 18 to gain work experience at 16 different sites including Waste Oil Recyclers. At Waste Oil Recyclers, my team (Tony, Simon, and Bahsyre) and I, learn how to test the Brandywine River, how to identify weeds from the produce, how to maintain a garden, and how to cook the food we grow! Last Wednesday, Chef Kevin Coley from High Street Caffe came to Waste Oil and taught the CYI participants how to make Beet Salad, Dumplings, and Chocolate Mousse. I enjoyed it alot! Now, you and your family can enjoy it too! below are the recipes. Bon appetite!
Beet Salad with Salad Dressing 15 servings
- 3 beets (raw or roasted)
- 1 quarter of Red Cabbage
- ½ green onion
- 6 heads of lettuce
- cut raw beets into really thin slices
- toss beets and other ingredients until well mixed
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- ½ cup champagne
- ½ cup mint (cut-down)
- 1 Tbsp. brown mustard
- 2 pinches sea salt
- Whisk together all ingredients except honey.
- Add and mix in a little honey, then taste to see if any adjustments need to be made.
- Add dressing to the salad and serve.
Dumplings and Sauce 40 servings
Dumplings Sauce Ingredients:
- sesame oil
- lime juice
- brown sugar
- rice wine vinegar
- Mix and adjust all of the ingredients until it taste just right
- 1 ½ ground pork
- 3 lengths of Italian sausage
- Panko bread crumbs
- chipotle pepper
- 1 egg
- dumpling skins
- Mix dumpling ingredients together until panko bread crumbs and Italian sausage are incorporated into ground pork.
- Fill dumpling skins.
- Sauté dumplings in a small amount of oil.
- Steam to finish cooking.
- Add the dumplings to dumpling sauce filled bowls and serve.
- 2 quarts of heavy cream
- 2 dashes vanilla
- 2 pounds of chocolate melted on a double boiler
- Stir chocolate as it melts.
- When chocolate is fully melted, add heavy cream.
- Mix heavy cream and melted chocolate together.
- Add two dashes of vanilla.
- Mix in vanilla and serve.
add ons: strawberries and blue berries put on top (optional)
Start Your FREE Service Now!
News and Updates
Coatesville Youth Initiative has wrapped up another year in Mogreena with Waste Oil Recyclers. Below is a recap from Kaitlin (green shirt above), writing about Guest Chef Kevin Coley of Vudu Lounge (High Street Cafe), in West Chester, Pa, paying a visit. Hey, it's...read more
Waste Oil Recyclers and Coatesville Youth Initiative students had a special guest Chef, Alex Shimpeno from Shimpy's BBQ, visit last Monday. Using vegetables the students have helped to grow with our Mogreena Garden Project, Chef Alex taught the students a few new...read more
This summer, we are once again partnered with the Coatesville Youth Initiative (CYI) and the Chester County Food Bank (CCFB) to help grow thousands of pounds of produce here in the gardens of Mogreena. The four students from CYI will learn how to plant, grow, and...read more
Call Us Now
Start Your FREE Service Now!
Don’t hesitate about calling them. They’re on time, the trucks are nice and there’s no mess. They’re dependable. Period.Mike's Seafood