Partner Highlight: Chester County Food Bank 2016
Every spring at the Waste Oil Recyclers compound, we sprout green thumbs. Big green thumbs! We do it for a few reasons.
- We love gardening.
- We love fresh food.
- We love to give back to our community.
For us, #3 is vital to the greatest “sustainability” factor of all: taking care of each other.
This year our gardens produced tons of fresh vegetables. Here’s what we did with it:
- Chester County Food Bank: 471 lbs
- West Chester Food Cupboard: 1,267.5 lbs
- Coatesville Towers: 268 lbs
So that’s 2,000 lbs.
The Chester County Food Bank
Let’s take a minute to understand and appreciate the Chester County Food Bank — and, more importantly, let’s recognize the problem that it’s trying to solve.
- According to the Chester County Commissioners, “On any given day in Chester County, 70,000 people are food insecure, and one in five children go to bed hungry.”
- The Food Bank is housed in a 36,000 square foot facility including our 3,500 square foot commercial kitchen, 4,250 square feet of refrigeration and freezer space and our warehouse.
- They secure food through donations, state and federal food assistance programs and by purchasing fresh and non-perishables using grant monies.
- They have three refrigerated box trucks — their drivers make daily deliveries to cupboards and social service agencies throughout the 759 square miles of Chester County.
Thanks Larry Welsch for recognizing our contribution this year but thank you and your staff for operating a top-notch community-focused organization. It has a direct impact on our neighbors and community members.
Thanks you so much for this very generous gift to the work of the Food Bank! We are so fortunate to have the help of great friends like you. Thank you for standing with us to fight hunger in our own county!
Chester County Food Bank
Latest posts by Waste Oil Recyclers (see all)
- Kevin Coley, from Vudu Lounge (West Chester), visits Mogreena again! - September 6, 2017
- Guest Chef Alex Shimpeno visits Mogreena! - July 31, 2017
- Summer is Here! - July 17, 2017
Start Your FREE Service Now!
News and Updates
Coatesville Youth Initiative has wrapped up another year in Mogreena with Waste Oil Recyclers. Below is a recap from Kaitlin (green shirt above), writing about Guest Chef Kevin Coley of Vudu Lounge (High Street Cafe), in West Chester, Pa, paying a visit. Hey, it's...read more
Waste Oil Recyclers and Coatesville Youth Initiative students had a special guest Chef, Alex Shimpeno from Shimpy's BBQ, visit last Monday. Using vegetables the students have helped to grow with our Mogreena Garden Project, Chef Alex taught the students a few new...read more
This summer, we are once again partnered with the Coatesville Youth Initiative (CYI) and the Chester County Food Bank (CCFB) to help grow thousands of pounds of produce here in the gardens of Mogreena. The four students from CYI will learn how to plant, grow, and...read more