Partner Highlight: Chester County Food Bank 2016
Every spring at the Waste Oil Recyclers compound, we sprout green thumbs. Big green thumbs! We do it for a few reasons.
- We love gardening.
- We love fresh food.
- We love to give back to our community.
For us, #3 is vital to the greatest “sustainability” factor of all: taking care of each other.
This year our gardens produced tons of fresh vegetables. Here’s what we did with it:
- Chester County Food Bank: 471 lbs
- West Chester Food Cupboard: 1,267.5 lbs
- Coatesville Towers: 268 lbs
So that’s 2,000 lbs.
The Chester County Food Bank
Let’s take a minute to understand and appreciate the Chester County Food Bank — and, more importantly, let’s recognize the problem that it’s trying to solve.
- According to the Chester County Commissioners, “On any given day in Chester County, 70,000 people are food insecure, and one in five children go to bed hungry.”
- The Food Bank is housed in a 36,000 square foot facility including our 3,500 square foot commercial kitchen, 4,250 square feet of refrigeration and freezer space and our warehouse.
- They secure food through donations, state and federal food assistance programs and by purchasing fresh and non-perishables using grant monies.
- They have three refrigerated box trucks — their drivers make daily deliveries to cupboards and social service agencies throughout the 759 square miles of Chester County.
Thanks Larry Welsch for recognizing our contribution this year but thank you and your staff for operating a top-notch community-focused organization. It has a direct impact on our neighbors and community members.
Thanks you so much for this very generous gift to the work of the Food Bank! We are so fortunate to have the help of great friends like you. Thank you for standing with us to fight hunger in our own county!
Chester County Food Bank
Latest posts by Waste Oil Recyclers (see all)
Start Your FREE Service Now!
News and Updates
The 9th Annual Energy Independence Day is on Sunday, May 21st from 2-6pm at our world headquarters located at 6 Union St. Modena, PA 19358 and affectionately known as ‘Mogreena’. We are happy to be featuring live music, food, and kids activities! Robin Mastrippolito,...read more
We love our clients! Well, all businesses say that, right? But we love them because they support our commitment to the environment — our way of recycling used cooking oil. There’s a few different ways for restaurants to get rid of their fryer oil, but the best way to do is is to let us recycle. That’s right you can actually turn spent fryer oil into a biofuel that helps reduce emissions.read more
On August 16, 2016, Waste Oil Recyclers held a ribbon cutting ceremony to celebrate the creation of a new rail siding into their yard, locally known as “Mogreena” (Modena, PA). This is an interview with the founders of Waste Oil Recyclers, Jim Bricker and Brendan Steer, where they discuss the what the rail means to the company, to Modena and the state.read more